Now that summer’s finally here, you’ll want to make the most of the warmer weather. While you’re enjoying yourself it’s a good idea to be aware of any extra risk factors that summer brings.
Aviva have made a list of few simple precautions you can take to keep your home and family safe this summer and to help ensure that nothing spoils your fun.
Watch out for opportunistic thieves
Summer is a time for relaxing but thieves can be opportunistic, especially during the summer months, so it’s important not to become complacent about security. Fortunately, there are many small changes you can make to stop your home from becoming a target.
- Plants and garden furniture can be targeted by thieves so bear this in mind when choosing what to buy and remember to bring anything valuable inside at night.
- Tools like ladders and gardening equipment can make it easier for thieves to enter your home. Don’t leave equipment like this lying about and make sure to secure your tool shed before going to bed at night.
- Open doors and windows not only let fresh air in, they can also offer an invitation to thieves so make sure that yours are secure, especially at night.
- Fitting a home alarm, especially a monitored one, will not only put thieves off and will also save you money on your home insurance. An outdoor movement sensor light could also act as a deterrent.
- Empty properties are an easy target for burglars so make sure your home doesn’t look unoccupied when you go away on holidays. Ask a neighbour to check on your home and remove any post that may pile up. Consider putting your lights on a timer set to go on in the evenings. Ask a neighbour to park in your driveway while you’re away so it looks like someone is home.
- Make sure that your home insurance is up to date and that all of your most valuable possessions are fully covered.
- Make an accurate estimate of the value of your possessions for insurance purposes. Overestimating their value will mean a higher home insurance premium. Underestimating their value will reduce the amount in the event of a claim.
- Make a photo or video record of your valuables and keep receipts to help with any claims.
Home insurance offers you peace of mind and ensures that you are covered should the worst happen. Remember, Aviva are here for all your home insurance needs and we will be happy to tailor a policy to your requirements.