Tried and Tested Sleep Apps

Sleep

Sleep plays an important role in both your physical and mental health and sleep issues can be devastating to overall health and wellbeing. Making your home a good environment for sleeping is a must but sometimes life’s stresses can get in the way of a good night’s rest. If you’re having trouble sleeping, a sleep app could be the answer. Our testers have tried three of the most popular sleep apps so you can pick one to best suit your needs. Take a look at what they had to say:

Rain Sounds – Sleep & Relax

This app helps to relax your body and mind before sleep with twelve carefully selected, soothing rain sounds. Available free on iTunes and Google Play with optional in-app purchases.

Laura says:
It’s easy to use and offers a large selection of rain sounds to listen to while drifting off to sleep.
I found it helpful that there’s the option of setting a timer for how long you want the rain sounds to play – but hopefully you will be asleep by then anyway!
8/10

Brian says:
The app itself is very straightforward and easy to use. I really liked how you can set timers or choose to let the soothing sounds of rain play continuously through the night.
7/10

Claire says:
I really liked the selection of free sounds before having to sign up for the lot.
I thought the app itself was really accessible and easy to use. There’s nothing worse than having to concentrate before attempting to nod off.
8/10

Sleep Well Hypnosis

This app uses a hypnotherapist to help you to drift off to sleep. The audio sessions last for 25 minutes. Peaceful music plays in the background and there is an option of playing the sessions on a loop while you sleep. Available free on iTunes and Google Play with additional in-app purchases.

Laura says:
This app really helped me get off to sleep quicker than normal.
7/10

Brian says:
I liked having the option to loop the sessions so they continue throughout my sleep cycle, in case I wake up during the night.
The free version is a bit limited as you must listen to the instructions at the start every time, which can be a little irritating.
6/10

Claire says:
This app reminded me a little of the relaxation part at the end of a yoga session.
I had a great, uninterrupted night’s sleep after using the app and will definitely use it again.
7/10

Sleep Cycle Calculator

Sleep Cycle Calculator helps you figure out when to go to sleep and when to wake up, in order to feel rested, energised and refreshed and avoid that morning groggy feeling. Available free on the iTunes store and Google Play

Laura says:
This app supposedly helps banish that groggy feeling when it wakes you up. I have to admit I felt a little less groggy than usual but there was no major difference.
6/10

Brian says:
I really liked this app and thought it worked really well. I felt much less groggy than usual waking up when I stuck to the sleep cycles the app set for me.
8/10

Claire says:
I loved this app and felt fantastic when I woke up the morning after using it.
You do need to be a little flexible with your bed and wake time when using Sleep Calculator but that suited me fine. The app is really easy to use and I would totally recommend it.
9/10

Results

We have a tie for the overall best rated app with both Rain Sounds - Sleep & Relax and Sleep Calculator scoring 23/30 points. The Rain Sounds - Sleep & Relax seems to offer a wide range of options for a free app, while Sleep Calculator seems to certainly combat feelings of grogginess the day after your sleep. Why not download the app you feel will suit your needs best and enjoy!
Remember, for your safety; always charge your phone before going to bed, rather than charging it while you sleep. And don’t sleep with your mobile on your bed, as it could be a fire hazard. Try and get into the habit of leaving it on a bedside table instead.

For further peace of mind why not protect your home with us, get a quote online now.

Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Home insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.
Aviva Insurance Limited, trading as Aviva, is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority in the UK and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules. Registered Branch Office in Ireland No 900175. Registered Branch Address One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2. Registered in Scotland No 2116. Registered Office Pitheavlis, Perth, PH2 0NH.

Return to Aviva Home Insurance