Aviva Ireland appoints John Quinlan as its new Chief Executive Officer
Aviva Ireland announces the appointment of John Quinlan as CEO. Mr Quinlan has been Managing Director of Aviva’s general insurance business in Ireland since November 2013. He replaces Hugh Hessing who is returning to take up a role in Aviva’s UK businesses.
Mr Quinlan has led Aviva General Insurance back to market leading profitability under a strategy that has delivered sustainable growth. “It is a great privilege for me to have been chosen to lead our Irish business. Hugh has made an outstanding contribution over the last two years and I look forward now to working with the team to capitalise on our superb brand, our people, relationships and expertise as we build sustainable growth in this market.”
Mr Hessing, who will remain as CEO until year end said the appointment of John Quinlan as his successor ensures continuity of Aviva’s strategy and approach in the Irish market. “My time in Ireland has been immensely rewarding. The future is bright for our businesses and for our people. It gives me particular satisfaction to hand over the reins to John, who has led our general insurance business to great success over the last three years. He is the best person to take the business forward,” said Mr Hessing.
Speaking in Dublin after the announcement, David McMillan, Aviva’s European CEO said the hand over represents seamless continuity for the Irish business. “The team here has led Aviva Ireland to a remarkable turn around in its fortunes. The business in Ireland is strategically important for the Group and I am happy that the changes we have announced today have set us up to succeed well into the future.”
In 2015, Aviva Ireland reported its best performance in five years with operating profit up by 32% to €91.2m. Aviva Ireland provides life insurance, general insurance, and investment and savings products to almost one million customers in Ireland. It employs almost eleven hundred people across its three locations in Dublin, Cork and Galway. Aviva recently announced the creation of fifty new roles in its Direct and Digital hub in Galway.
- Aviva Ireland provides life insurance, general insurance, and investment and savings products to almost 1million customers
- We employ 1,060 across our three locations in Dublin, Galway and Cork.
- We are one of Ireland’s largest insurers and part of Aviva Group, which has to 33 million customers, across 16 markets in Europe, Asia and Canada
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £289 billion in assets.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; across the Group we paid out £30.7 billion in benefits and claims in 2015.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.