We will pay for the following kinds of breakdowns;
- Mechanical breakdown;
- Theft or attempted theft;
- Malicious damage;
- Punctures that need help to fix or require a wheel to be replaced;
- Lost keys, stolen keys and keys broken in the lock or locked in the car.
What to do in the event of a breakdown
- Get your vehicle off the road if possible. Indicate, pull in slowly and remember only use the hard shoulder if you cannot safely navigate your car to another location. It’s for emergency use only.
- Keep your vehicle lights on and utilize the hazard lights to alert oncoming traffic, especially if you’re causing an obstruction. The more visible you are, the better.
- Do not exit the vehicle on the driver or traffic-adjacent side. Instead, exit the vehicle on the left-hand side and ensure all passengers do so also.
- If broken down on a Motorway ask driver and all passengers to leave the vehicle and wait behind the barrier not on the hard shoulder, only where safe to do so.
- Use the triangle hazard or warning sign to alert other motorists and let them know of your presence.
- Call Aviva breakdown rescue service; stay calm and patient while you wait for help to arrive.
The benefits of Aviva breakdown rescue cover
Because we always go that extra mile, we make sure that you get these great benefits as standard with your Aviva breakdown rescue cover.
Roadside and driveway assistance
Flat tyre on the motorway? Dead battery in your driveway? No problem! We'll send a repairer to help you. If your car can be repaired immediately we'll provide up to one hours' free labour. Just make sure you're with the car when repairer arrives.
If you can't drive your car because of a mechanical breakdown, we'll cover the cost of towing it to the nearest repairer or your own garage - whichever is closer. If you've had an accident for which you're insured, we'll collect your car and bring it to our nearest repairer.
Finishing the Journey
If our repairer can't get your car running again at the scene and you're more than 30 kilometres from home, we've got you covered. We'll pay to get you and your passengers to your intended destination or we'll give you a replacement car for up to 48 hours and transport you back to collect your own car when it's fixed or we'll cover bed and breakfast accommodation while you and your passengers are waiting for your car to be repaired (up to €35 per person, and €150 in total)
England, Scotland and Wales
If our repairer can’t get your car running at the scene we'll give you a replacement car for up to 48 hours (up to a total cost of £100). If your car can't be repaired before your departure date, we'll pay to have it towed to the port in England, Scotland or Wales you are leaving from (up to a total cost of £250).
If your car is stolen and not recovered within 24 hours, we'll give you a replacement for up to five days or until your car is found, whichever is sooner. You'll need to report the theft to the Gardaí and us right away.
Aviva Insurance Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 605769. Registered Office: Cherrywood Business Park, Dublin, Ireland, D18 W2P5.