Specified Illness Cover
Take care of what matters most
Peace of mind for you and your family
If you are diagnosed with a serious or critical illness, your finances should be the last thing on your mind. But if your illness prevents you from working, do you know how you and your family would cope?
Lump sum payment
Financial support to help you focus on your health if you’re diagnosed with 1 of 47 illnesses that we cover.
Flexible length of cover
Choose how long you’d like your cover to last – from 5 to 40 years.
We’ll pay if your child is diagnosed with or undergoes surgery for one of the specified illness that we cover.
How can Specified Illness cover help?
The lump sum payment from your specified illness cover policy could help you to:
- Pay for medical treatment and expenses.
- Help with your mortgage or other loans or bills.
- Invest to provide a regular income.
- Make any necessary alterations to your home.
Reliable cover to help you through a tough time
We all hope it never happens but if you have to deal with health problems, you want to know that you’ve got serious illness cover that works hard for you and your family.
- We cover 47 illnesses on a full-payment basis. So if you’ve been diagnosed with one of these illnesses, we’ll pay you the full amount for which you’re covered. Find out more about these illnesses in our Specified Illness Definitions Guide.
- We cover 19 illnesses on a partial-payment basis so if you’re eligible, we’ll pay €20,000 or half of your cover amount, whichever is lower. One exception to this is angioplasty – single vessel for which we pay €5,000 or half of your cover amount, whichever is lower.
Features of your Aviva Specified Illness cover
- Premiums are guaranteed to stay fixed throughout your policy term unless you change your policy.
- You can get cover up to the age of 69.
- Your policy provides life cover and specified illness cover for your children (any child, stepchild or adopted child of yours who is aged 30 days or more and who is under the age of 21) or 25 if in full time education.
- You choose how long you want your cover to last – from 5 to 40 years.
- You can decide to increase your cover every year to keep up with inflation – without having to provide evidence of your health. We call this the indexation option.
- You can include a ‘conversion option’ to let you extend your cover at any time without having to provide evidence of your health.
- Best Doctors® Second Medical Opinion service: an exclusive benefit is available from the first day of your protection cover, at no additional cost.
- As our customer you get access to Aviva Family Care which is a counselling and support service provided by Workplace Options. This service provides access to short term counselling and carer support information services at no extra cost.
Want to get started?
Our professional financial advisers can talk to you about your options and set up the right cover for you.
Manage your policies online
Avail of 24/7 access to view and manage your protection policy information.
Aviva Online Service Centre
- View your policies
- Update your details
- Change bank details
- Submit a query
How our claims process works
We know this is a difficult time so we’ll deal with your claim as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Let us know what’s happened
Call us on 01 775 6412 – we’re open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give us some details
We’ll need medical evidence to assess your claim, along with the policy number and your contact details.
We get things sorted
Once we’ve processed your information and accepted your claim, we’ll pay your benefit by electronic fund transfer into your bank account.
Important information about your life insurance.
You may also be interested in...
Take a look at our library of helpful articles and news.
16 Mar 2020
To reassure you, no new COVID-19 restrictions have been applied to our protection policies and currently there are no plans to amend our acceptance criteria.
6 Sep 2019
What is Best Doctors® Second Medical Opinion service?
With Best Doctors® you receive a second medical opinion, so you can feel assured and fully informed about your condition and what it means for you and your family.
26 Nov 2019
What is a Life Insurance Lump sum?
There is great peace of mind in knowing whatever may happen to you, your children will be taken care of. Life Insurance pays out a lump sum.
6 Aug 2019
What is life insurance?
What is the difference between Life Insurance and Life Assurance? What Life Insurance Products are on offer from Mortgage Protection to Specified Illness cover.
26 Jul 2019
Nonsense Facts About Life Insurance
You can’t know for sure what the future will bring. That’s why life cover is such a good idea.
16 Oct 2019
Mortgage Protection Jargon Explained
Buying your first home can be an exciting but confusing time. Read on for all mortgage protection jargon explained.
5 Jul 2018
Dummies Guide To Life Insurance
There are many things in life that we hold dear, and we try our best to protect them. With so many available options to protect ourselves and our families from an unexpected rainy day.
5 Jul 2018
The affordability of Life Insurance
For peace of mind for you and your family, we believe that it is well worth it –you don’t need to cut out any of the finer things in life.
26 Jun 2018
7 Myths about Mortgage Protection
Learn about the common myths about Mortgage Protection, so you can make informed decisions and get the best value for your money.
26 Jun 2018
Do I really need Life Insurance?
We can’t know what the future holds for us, or our families, and nobody likes to imagine any frightening possibilities.
26 Jun 2018
Why stay at home parents need Life Insurance too
We all put our families first, and here at Aviva we want to help you protect everything you hold dear in life. Life Insurance is a means of protecting your family should the worst happen.
16 Oct 2019
Why consider income protection insurance
How does income protection work? What are the benefits? Who can take out income protection? Find the answers to these questions.
13 Nov 2017
Mortgage Protection 101
Buying a home is a significant milestone in anyone’s life, so it makes sense to protect your investment in the best way possible...
18 Apr 2017
10 Questions to Ask About Specified Illness Cover
No one likes to think about being struck down with a serious illness, but unfortunately it can affect anyone, at any age and at any time.
1. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Price match applies to mortgage protection or life insurance quotes only. Price match only applies to standard quotes provided to Aviva Direct Ireland Limited from Best Advice (only including quotes from Irish Life, New Ireland, Royal London and Zurich) with the same level and term of cover up to a maximum sum assured of €1,500,000. Price Match does not apply to promotional offers. Price match and any discounts applied are subject to a minimum premium of €10 per month. For full details, please talk to our Direct Team on 1890 242 227.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland does not guarantee the on-going availability of the Aviva Family Care Benefit (Workplace Options Counselling services), to its policyholders and may, at its sole discretion, withdraw access to the service at a month’s notice. If we withdraw it, we’ll write to notify policyholders at least 31 days in advance of its removal.
Workplace Options Counselling and Carer Support Service (who provide the Aviva Family Care Benefit) is not a regulated financial service.
Best Doctors is an independent company and Aviva will not be responsible for any actions taken or not taken as a consequence of recommendations made by Best Doctors. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC does not guarantee the on-going availability of the Best Doctors service to its policyholders and may, at its sole discretion, withdraw access to the service at a month’s notice.
Best Doctors is not a regulated financial service.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.
Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, a private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 165970. Registered office at One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2, D02 E651. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland and Friends First, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Tel (01) 898 7950.