Maintain your quality of life
Income protection from Aviva helps you maintain your lifestyle by giving you a monthly income if illness or injury prevents you from working for a period of time, so you can concentrate on getting better.
Protection of up to 75% of your total earnings.
Peace of mind
A guaranteed premium that cannot rise.1
Tax relief on all premiums at 20% or 40%.
When life is going well, it’s easy to take money for granted. But just think about how you’d cope if your income suddenly dried up due to ill health or injury? The things you care about – your family’s lifestyle, your home, your children’s education – could be in jeopardy.
Practical protection designed for you
If you suddenly lose your ability to earn a living, you want a back-up plan that works when you need it most. That’s where we come in – with income protection cover that’s flexible, competitive and built to suit your lifestyle.
How to tailor your income protection cover
- Choose the amount you get if you make a claim – you can go from €5,200 to €262,500 a year.
- Select the length of your policy – cover can end between 50 - 70.
- Pick your deferred period – that’s the time you wait before your policy pays a benefit. It can be 4, 8, 12, 26 or 52 weeks.
- Decide if the money paid out should keep up with inflation.
Features of your Aviva income protection policy
- A guaranteed premium – once accepted, your premium won’t rise
- A discount if you’re a non-smoker
- A waiver on your premium while you’re getting your benefit
- Tax relief on your premiums
- Aviva covers all occupations on an “own occupation basis”
- Cover is continued even if you change jobs
- Wide choice of deferred payment periods
- Freedom to top up your policy to get additional cover
- We provide a comprehensive claims service to help you get back to work.
- Best Doctors ® Second Medical Opinion service: an exclusive benefit available from the first day of your protection cover, at no additional cost.
- As our customer you get access to Aviva Family Care which is a counselling & psychotherapy service provided by Teladoc Health. Aviva Family Care gives you access to a wide variety of specialised forms of therapy, including counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
Considering Income Protection
Have you got your protection the right way around?
It may not matter what cover you have in place if you don't protect the one thing that pays for it all: your income.
Manage your policies online
Avail of 24/7 access to view and manage your protection policy information.
Aviva Online Service Centre
- View your policies
- Update your details
- Change bank details
- Submit a query
Helping you get back to working life…
We know you’d rather be working. That’s why we do whatever we can to help you get back to a normal working life as soon as you can. After your claim has been approved, you can access these benefits:
How our claims process works
We know this is a difficult time so we’ll deal with your claim as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Let us know what’s happened
Call us on 1800 159 159 or from mobile/abroad on 01 618 6621. Or you can email email@example.com.
We’re open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Give us some details
We’ll need medical and financial evidence to assess your claim, along with the policy number and your contact details.
We get things sorted
Once we’ve processed your information and accepted your claim, we pay you a monthly benefit in arrears.
Important information about your life insurance.
Take a look at our library of helpful articles and news.
1 Apr 2022
Aviva pays out €46 million to income protection claimants in 2021
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland (Aviva), reported that the company paid out €46 million to 2,000 new and existing income protection claimants during 2021.
22 Apr 2021
Aviva Life Claims increase by 9% to €109 million in 2020
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC (Aviva), one of Ireland’s leading insurers, today reported that the company paid out almost €109 million to customers with protection policies in 2020.
16 Apr 2021
What do I need for a mortgage application?
Whether you’re a first-time buyer, purchasing your second home or re-mortgaging, find the list of documents you need to apply.
2 Dec 2020
Reasons to buy life insurance in your 20s and 30s
Getting financially stable as a young adult may be the last thing on your mind. Did you know life insurance could be less expensive in your 20s / 30s?
7 Sep 2020
What to do after a death checklist
The loss of a loved one can be a very difficult time. With this handy checklist find out the steps to take immediately following a death and the weeks subsequent.
29 Jul 2020
Do I need life insurance if I’m retired or an empty nester?
Even after you retire or your children are now financially independent, keeping your life insurance is still a good idea and here are the reasons why.
29 Jul 2020
Mortgage Protection Checklist
Are you thinking about, or in the process of buying mortgage protection insurance? If so, check out our handy checklist to make the process as simple as possible.
16 Jun 2020
How much life insurance do you need?
The amount of life insurance you need depends on your personal circumstances. Here are some things to consider before talking to a financial adviser.
16 Jun 2020
What are the benefits of mortgage protection?
Want to learn more about mortgage protection – how it’s used and the benefits?
7 Apr 2020
Financial scam phone calls and emails
16 Mar 2020
COVID-19 and Aviva Life & Pension Ireland
To reassure you, no new COVID-19 restrictions have been applied to our protection policies and currently there are no plans to amend our acceptance criteria.
26 Nov 2019
What is a Life Insurance Lump sum?
There is great peace of mind in knowing whatever may happen to you, your children will be taken care of. Life Insurance pays out a lump sum.
16 Oct 2019
Why consider income protection insurance
How does income protection work? What are the benefits? Who can take out income protection? Find the answers to these questions.
16 Oct 2019
Mortgage Protection Jargon Explained
Buying your first home can be an exciting but confusing time. Read on for all mortgage protection jargon explained.
6 Sep 2019
What is Best Doctors® Second Medical Opinion service?
With Best Doctors® you receive a second medical opinion, so you can feel assured and fully informed about your condition and what it means for you and your family.
6 Aug 2019
What is life insurance?
What is the difference between Life Insurance and Life Assurance? What Life Insurance Products are on offer from Mortgage Protection to Specified Illness cover.
1. Guaranteed premium: The amount you pay does not change over the life of the policy as long as the benefits remain the same. You can choose to index-link your premium and the benefits to ensure that, over time, they remain linked to inflation.
2. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. These monthly premiums are based on single life cover of €170,000 for a person aged 31 next birthday and a non-smoker, over a 25 year term, total amount €10.03. Source: Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC as at July 2020.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland does not guarantee the on-going availability of the Best Doctors - Second Medical Opinion benefit to its policyholders or the Aviva Family Care Benefit (Mental Health Support) and may, at its sole discretion, withdraw access to the service at a month’s notice. If we withdraw it, we’ll write to notify policyholders at least 31 days in advance of its removal.
Teladoc Health (who provide the Best Doctors and Aviva Family Care Benefit) is not a regulated financial service.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.
Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, a private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 165970. Registered office at Building 12, Cherrywood Business Park, Loughlinstown, Co. Dublin, D18 W2P5. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland and Friends First, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Tel (01) 898 7950.