Why choose Aviva for car insurance?
Find the right choice of cover for you
There are two types of car insurance cover: Comprehensive or Third Party, Fire and Theft. But how do you choose between them? Well, it depends on what level of cover you want.
What is comprehensive cover?
Comprehensive insurance is as its name suggests, comprehensive. With this type of cover, you'll be protected against windscreen or accidental damage – in addition to everything covered by Third Party, Fire and Theft. See exactly what that means in our handy guide.
What is third party, fire and theft?
Third Party, Fire and Theft covers damage to your car by theft, attempted theft, or fire – and if your car is stolen. In the event of an accident, it covers claims made against you by other people too e.g., for a personal injury or damage to their property.
Discover our great car insurance features and benefits
With Aviva car insurance cover, peace of mind comes as standard. And there's also a whole range of other great benefits you can take advantage of with your policy. Explore all our car insurance benefits.
Get exclusive car insurance discounts
We aim to provide the best value car insurance in the Republic of Ireland. So, that's why we can offer loads of great discounts to help you save money when you're comparing quotes.
Up to 50% off your policy if you have 5 years' claims-free driving in your name.6
No penalty points
Up to 20% off if you have no penalty points on your licence.3
10% off the cost of insuring a second car in your household with our Multicar discount.7
Free travel insurance
15% off both policies when you insure your car AND home with Aviva. We'll even throw in free travel insurance for one year!8
Personalise your policy with our extra cover options
Did you know you can get a car insurance quote from Aviva that's totally unique to you? That's because, with our optional extras, you get to decide what to include and what to leave out. Want to know more? See all extra cover options.
You can choose from a range of options – including:
Protect Your No Claims Discount
JourneyWise Accident Cover
Get a car insurance quote in minutes
All you have to do to get your car insurance quote is use our simple form and fill out a few basic details. We will also give you a 15% discount when you buy online.²Get a car quick quote
Cover that's right for you? We've thought of that
Each driver's needs are different but that doesn't mean your policy needs to be.
Our car insurance is suitable for everyone who's on the lookout for a great value online quote.
Car Insurance for women
At Aviva we have a range of benefits and optional extras that will cater for your everyday needs and lifestyle.
Electric car insurance
Got an electric car? Or perhaps you’re thinking about making the switch? Car insurance from Aviva has been designed to meet the needs of electric car owners.
Our car insurance benefits include a No Claims Discount of up to 50% and a straight forward claims process, giving you peace of mind whatever your age.
Our car insurance FAQs
Find out the most asked questions when it comes to car insurance
Why do I need car insurance?
What does car insurance cover?
How much is car insurance?
How do I get a car insurance quote online?
Is it cheaper to pay monthly or annually?
Can I get a discount on my car insurance quote?
How do I make a claim?
Is there any discount for a member of my household who wishes to take out a policy in their own name with Aviva?
Can I still get a Multicar discount if our renewal dates are different?
Where can I find my policy documents?
How long will it take to receive my policy documents?
Can I change my car insurance policy?
Can I cancel my car insurance policy?
How do I change my payment details?
Can I get proof of my No Claims Discount?
Can I take my car abroad?
How do I get a Green Card?
Do I need a Green Card for the UK/Northern Ireland?
What does 'excess' mean – and do I need one?
Can I get a courtesy car if my car needs to be repaired due to damage that results in a claim under my policy?
Am I covered for personal belongings?
Can I claim for window and windscreen damage?
Can I claim for lost or stolen keys?
What is not insured by my car insurance policy?
What is a no claims discount?
Looking for more information? Explore our policy documents
When it comes to finding the right cover, there's a lot of important information to learn. Some of it could seem unfamiliar, but we'll help you find out what's what. Our glossary of terms may be helpful when reviewing your documents. And our assumptions are also available, which are details we assume to be correct when offering you a quote.
The documents below contain everything else you might need to know before you get a quote.
MotorCare Policy Booklet
Ourgives you an in-depth understanding of what our policies cover and include details on our no-claims policy to what events are insured by Aviva.
Terms of Business
Learn more about our terms of business that set out the basis on which Aviva Direct Ireland Limited will provide insurance intermediary services to you. Explore our.
Motor Legal Expenses Booklet
Ourcovers in detail the standard benefit you will receive with your private policy.
Looking for a quick summary of what our insurance policy covers? Ourdoes just that, giving you a quick view of what’s included in our motor insurance product.
1. Source: Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC and is based on claims experience over a 12 month rolling period.
2. Offer of 15% discount only applies to new car insurance policies bought online. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Subject to a minimum premium of €310 for car insurance. Aviva reserves the right to withdraw, suspend or amend this offer or any of the terms and conditions thereof at any time without prior notice.
3. To qualify for our penalty points discount all drivers on the policy must be capable of incurring penalty points for driving offences in the Republic of Ireland and you must provide us with a valid driver number (found on the driving licence) for each driver on the policy which can be verified by the National Vehicle Driver File (NVDF)
4. Advanced Driver qualification must be from a recognised association.
5. Protected No Claims discount (NCD) cover Step-back protection only protection only protect your NCD on the policy on which this optional cover is purchased with Aviva. See the policy booklet for full details of cover available.
6. This is subject to a max 50%/5 years earned driving experience in your own name. View our No Claims Discount scale in our policy booklet for more details.
7. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. All discounts applied subject to minimum premium of €310. Offer available on second and subsequent car policies for new and existing customers, up to a maximum of five policies, if the new and existing policies have been taken out through Aviva Direct Ireland Limited. Vehicles must be owned by members of the same household and registered at the same address.
8. Offer available to new & existing customers who have a motor care insurance policy and a home care insurance policy through Aviva Direct. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €310 for car insurance & €230 for home insurance (€115 for Contents or Buildings only). See aviva.ie/loyalty for further details. Free one year travel insurance is arranged by Aviva Direct Ireland Limited and underwritten by Chubb European Group SE.
Car insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office: Cherrywood Business Park, Dublin, Ireland, D18 W2P5.