Cover for you and your vehicle
At Aviva, we also take the hassle out of car insurance. That means quick online car insurance quotes, flexible covers (compare Comprehensive or Third Party, Fire and Theft), great benefits and discounts, reliable claims service, and a policy you can manage online with MyAviva. For car insurance, you’re safe in the hands of Aviva.
Breakdown rescue cover
Included as standard. Breakdowns happen and we're here 24 hours a day, 365 days a year if it happens to you.
Safe Driver Recognition
We offer Safe Drivers more ways to save.
No Claims Bonus/Discount Protection: Up to 50%2
No Penalty Points Discount: Up to 20%3
Advance Driver Discount: 20%4
No Claims Bonus Protection
We offer safe drivers more ways to protect your No Claims Bonus such as step-back and/or protected no claims discount cover*
*these options are purchased at an extra cost
Car insurance benefits
Peace of mind comes as standard with Aviva, and we also add a whole range of great benefits to our car insurance policies.
- Driving other cars
Get third-party cover to drive other people's cars if you have a full, current EU licence. Some restrictions apply.
- Courtesy Car
You get a courtesy car for up to seven days while yours is being fixed by an Aviva Motor Services repairer if you make a claim under your policy.
- Windscreen Protection
Our comprehensive policies have unlimited Windscreen cover if you use one of our aligned windscreen repairers.
- Replacement Lock Cover
If your car keys or your lock transmitter are lost or stolen we've got you covered up to €1,000.
- 24/7 Claims Helpline
We never sleep! Our car insurance claim helplines are open all day and all night every day of the year. So if you need us just call 1890 666 888.
- Legal Helpline
You get confidential access to a legal advice helpline for any personal legal matter at no extra charge.
Comprehensive vs third party, fire and theft
There are two main types of car insurance cover; third party, fire and theft or comprehensive. The kind of car insurance you choose will depend on what level of cover you want for your car.
What is comprehensive?
Comprehensive car insurance will protect you for everything covered under third party, fire and theft along with any windscreen or accidental damage.
What is third party, fire and theft?
Third party, fire and theft insurance will cover you if your car is damaged by theft or attempted theft, stolen, or damaged by fire. In the event of an accident, it will cover claims made against you by other people for personal injury or damage to their property.
You get to decide what to include in your car insurance policy. Choose from a range of options including:
Protect Your No Claims Discount
Your no claims discount has a big impact on the price of your car insurance. So why not protect it in case you have to make a claim?
JourneyWise Accident Cover
This optional extra covers you or a family member in case of accidental injury while in, getting into or getting out of a private car or any train, taxi, ship, boat, hovercraft or airplane.
Want to know more? See all our optional extras.
Car insurance discounts
Car insurance quotes with great discounts to help you save:1
Safe driver discounts
- Up to 50% off the price of your car insurance when you have 5 years claims free driving in your own name.
- Up to 20% off if you have no penalty points.
- 10% off the cost of insuring a second car in your household with our Multicar discount.5
- 15% off both policies if you insure your car AND home with Aviva. We'll even throw in one year free travel insurance!6
And there's much more... see all our discounts and start saving now.
Frequently asked questions
What should I do if I wish to make a change to my insurance policy?
How do I change my payment details?
How can I get proof of my No-claims Discount?
Already with us?
Need to claim? The sooner you get in touch with us, the sooner we can help you. Car claims info
Manage your cover with MyAviva
- View your policies
- Update your details
- Add a driver or transfer cover
- Upload documents
Looking for more information?
Car Insurance for Women
We offer great value car insurance for women and men alike. You can choose between Comprehensive or Third Party, Fire and Theft cover.
Whether you already have an electric car or are thinking about making the switch, make sure to get a quote with Aviva.
Take a look at our library of helpful articles and latest car insurance news.
21 Jun 2021
12 road trip essentials
The open road is ahead of you but first it’s time to pack the car. Find out the things you need for a road trip this summer.
21 Jun 2021
Tips on what to know about car engines before buying
Motoring expert Michael Sheridan discusses the different types of type of car engines available and what best suits your needs.
4 May 2021
21 nifty car gadgets
We’ve done the research and listed 21 cool car gadgets. Make your car journey the best it can be.
11 Mar 2021
Rules for navigating a roundabout
Roundabouts can be tricky but not when you know what you’re doing. Click through to learn how to drive through a roundabout correctly and safely.
3 Mar 2021
21 tips for environmentally friendly driving
21 tips on how to increase your fuel efficiency, cut down on your driving costs, and help make your driving a little kinder to the environment.
27 Jan 2021
Must-have car gadgets 2021
Improve your driving experience with these must-have car gadgets for 2021.
25 Jan 2021
Three things to check every six to 12 months
Bob Flavin discusses three key checks on your car that should be carried out every six to 12 months.
14 Jan 2021
Three things to check every four to six weeks
Expert advice on the top three things you should check your car for every four to six weeks. Follow our car maintenance series here.
8 Jan 2021
Driving in ice and snow
The winter months can make driving more dangerous in many ways, but two elements you need to be particularly cautious of whilst driving are ice and snow.
29 Nov 2020
Seven Common road hazards and how to avoid them
We’ve listed the most common road hazards and provided information on how to stay safe when driving if you find yourself in one of these situations.
30 Oct 2020
What’s the value of your car?
Did you know that you need to tell your insurer how much your car is worth to work out your car insurance premium?
30 Oct 2020
What to do after a minor car accident
Even a minor car crash can be a daunting experience. With this checklist feel secure that you will take the right steps on the roadside.
30 Oct 2020
The best time to buy a new car - new or used
Purchasing a car either new or second hand can be an exciting yet expensive time. You could save money simply by knowing the best time to buy a car.
30 Oct 2020
Your car logbook
Your Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC), or logbook, is your official ownership document. Learn how it's used and how to replace a lost logbook.
19 Oct 2020
Three things to check regularly
Good car maintenance is very important. Having your car in top working order gives you peace of mind because you know you and your passengers are safe.
24 Sep 2020
Three things to know about car maintenance
Car enthusiast Bob Flavin sat down with us to share his top tips on car maintenance, so you can keep safe on the road and don’t lose unnecessary money in the meantime.
Need to contact us?
Get in Touch
If you have a question about your car insurance policy with us, just ask us a question using our contact forms.
You'll find all the contact information you need here
1. Offer of 21% discount only applies to new car insurance policies bought online. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Subject to a minimum premium of €280 for car insurance. Aviva reserves the right to withdraw, suspend or amend this offer or any of the terms and conditions there of at any time without prior notice.
2. This is subject to a max 50%/5 years earned driving experience in your own name.
3. To qualify for our penalty points rating all drivers on the policy must be capable of incurring penalty points for driving offences in Republic of Ireland and you must provide us with a valid driver number (found on the driving licence) for each driver on the policy which can be verified by the National Vehicle Driver File (NVDF)
4. Advanced Driver qualification must be from a recognised association.
5. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. All discounts applied subject to minimum premium of €280. Offer available on second and subsequent car policies for new and existing customers, up to a maximum of five policies, if the new and existing policies have been taken out through Aviva Direct Ireland Limited. Vehicles must be owned by members of the same household and registered at the same address.
6. Offer available to new & existing customers who have both Aviva car & home insurance. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €280 for car & €230 for home (€115 for Contents or Buildings only). Free one year travel insurance is arranged by Aviva Direct Ireland Limited and underwritten by Chubb European Group SE.
Car insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.