What is an Approved Retirement Fund?
Approved Retirement Funds (often referred to as ARFs) keep your pension savings invested after you have retired while giving you the freedom to withdraw money as and when you need it. As the savings are still invested, their value may increase or decrease.
What is an Approved Minimum Retirement Fund (AMRF)?
Approved Minimum Retirement Funds (often referred to as AMRFs) are more restrictive than ARFs as you can only withdraw a maximum of 4% each year until you reach age 75. At age 75, or earlier if you meet the below criteria, you can convert your AMRF to an ARF.
Revenue rules require you to set up an AMRF unless one of the following statements applies to you:
- You have a guaranteed income payable for life (for example, State Pension or other annuity income) of more than €12,700 per year
- You already have an AMRF with an investment amount of at least €63,500
- You are older than 75
Aviva Approved (Minimum) Retirement Funds at a glance
Competitive and Transparent Pricing
A range of options to choose from, we offer great choice and value
We offer a wide range of investment funds to choose from
Single contributions from €20,000
View key policy information & access online tools
Principle features and benefits of ARFs and AMRFs
- Money from your pension is invested after you have retired so that it still enjoys the opportunity to grow.
- Every year Aviva can pay you a fixed percentage of your ARF or AMRF (some limits apply) as an income.
- You have control over what your ARF and AMRF is invested in.
- You can use your ARF or AMRF to buy an annuity at any point in the future.
- In the event of your death, the value of your ARF and AMRF is passed on to your estate.
Eligibility for an ARF
Your financial broker will advise you about the types of pension arrangements that can be paid into an ARF.
Is the Aviva ARF right for you
To invest in our Approved Retirement Fund you must be:
- Over 50 years of age and less than 85 years of age
- Using an eligible pension arrangement as the source of your contribution
- Resident in the Republic of Ireland
The Aviva ARF may suit you if you:
- Are retired and you have taken a retirement lump sum of up to 25% of the pension fund value and now wish to invest the remaining balance
- Are happy with the charges on this product and accept that the fund value could fall as well as rise
- Would like to take a regular withdrawal from the current fund value each year
- Are happy with the choice of funds available on the ARF
- Want to pass on the value of your ARF to your family when you die
The Aviva ARF may not suit you if you:
- Have taken a tax free lump sum of up to 1.5 times your final salary
- Are not happy with the charges on this product and are not comfortable with the fact that your fund could fall as well as rise
- Want regular guaranteed pension income to last you for your life
- Are not happy with the choice of funds on the ARF
- Want to take out an annuity when you retire
Tools & Calculators
How are your funds performing and where are they invested? Find out using our daily updated fund centre.
Want expert advice on pensions and retirement? Contact your Financial Broker today.
Take a look at our library of helpful articles and news.
27 May 2020
Investing during times of crisis
The past two months have been extremely volatile for investment markets. While this level of volatility can be a shock for less experienced investors, those who have worked and invested through previous downturns understand that this time will pass, and some relative calm will eventually return to markets.
8 May 2020
Avoid the emotional investment trap
Your 5-minute guide to investor psychology. This article explains the emotions that you may be feeling – and suggests how to avoid the emotional investment trap..
21 Apr 2020
When it comes to investing - patience pays
Investing in stock markets is designed to deliver returns over the medium to long-term. In uncertain environments some investors get nervous, losing sight of their investment objectives.
20 Feb 2019
Your retirement checklist
If you are a member of a company pension, or if you hold your own personal pension, there are different options available to you...
Important information to consider.
Warning: Past performance is not a reliable guide to future performance.
Warning: The value of your investment may go down as well as up.
Warning: If you invest in this product you may lose some or all of the money you invest.
Warning: This product may be affected by changes in currency exchange rates.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, a private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 165970. Registered office at One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2, D02 E651. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland and Friends First, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Tel (01) 898 7950.