What is mortgage protection?
When you're taking out your mortgage, your lender will usually request that you also take out a mortgage protection policy. But what is it? It's a cheaper form of life cover, designed to help pay your outstanding mortgage balance if the worst were to happen. So you know your family can keep the home they love.
Our financial advisers can help you get the right cover set up quickly and easily.
We complete all the paperwork with a signature free process.2
Your home is probably the largest purchase you'll make and we strive to make mortgage protection hassle-free.
- Guidance from a professional financial adviser to help you get cover suited to your needs.
- You can get a quick quote online today or call us on 1800 555 255
- Free accidental death cover while your application is considered, at no extra cost.3
- Exclusive access to the Best Doctors® Second Medical Opinion service, available from the first day of cover, at no additional cost.
- Access to Aviva Family Care, is a counselling & psychotherapy service provided by Teladoc Health. Aviva Family Care gives you access to a wide variety of specialised forms of therapy, including counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy., at no extra cost.
You can get even more peace of mind by adding specified illness cover to your mortgage protection policy. This means that if you are diagnosed and proven to have a specified illness or if you die, your benefit will be paid.
Manage your policies online
Avail of 24/7 access to view and manage your protection policy information.
Aviva Online Service Centre
- View your policies
- Update your details
- Change bank details
- Submit a query
Mortgage protection articles
Take a look at our library of helpful articles and news.
22 Apr 2021
Aviva Life Claims increase by 9% to €109 million in 2020
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC (Aviva), one of Ireland’s leading insurers, today reported that the company paid out almost €109 million to customers with protection policies in 2020.
16 Apr 2021
What do I need for a mortgage application?
Whether you’re a first-time buyer, purchasing your second home or re-mortgaging, find the list of documents you need to apply.
2 Dec 2020
Reasons to buy life insurance in your 20s and 30s
Getting financially stable as a young adult may be the last thing on your mind. Did you know life insurance could be less expensive in your 20s / 30s?
7 Sep 2020
What to do after a death checklist
The loss of a loved one can be a very difficult time. With this handy checklist find out the steps to take immediately following a death and the weeks subsequent.
29 Jul 2020
Do I need life insurance if I’m retired or an empty nester?
Even after you retire or your children are now financially independent, keeping your life insurance is still a good idea and here are the reasons why.
29 Jul 2020
Mortgage Protection Checklist
Are you thinking about, or in the process of buying mortgage protection insurance? If so, check out our handy checklist to make the process as simple as possible.
16 Jun 2020
How much life insurance do you need?
The amount of life insurance you need depends on your personal circumstances. Here are some things to consider before talking to a financial adviser.
16 Jun 2020
What are the benefits of mortgage protection?
Want to learn more about mortgage protection – how it’s used and the benefits?
7 Apr 2020
Financial scam phone calls and emails
16 Mar 2020
COVID-19 and Aviva Life & Pension Ireland
To reassure you, no new COVID-19 restrictions have been applied to our protection policies and currently there are no plans to amend our acceptance criteria.
26 Nov 2019
What is a Life Insurance Lump sum?
There is great peace of mind in knowing whatever may happen to you, your children will be taken care of. Life Insurance pays out a lump sum.
16 Oct 2019
Mortgage Protection Jargon Explained
Buying your first home can be an exciting but confusing time. Read on for all mortgage protection jargon explained.
6 Sep 2019
What is Best Doctors® Second Medical Opinion service?
With Best Doctors® you receive a second medical opinion, so you can feel assured and fully informed about your condition and what it means for you and your family.
6 Aug 2019
What is life insurance?
What is the difference between Life Insurance and Life Assurance? What Life Insurance Products are on offer from Mortgage Protection to Specified Illness cover.
26 Jul 2019
Nonsense Facts About Life Insurance
You can’t know for sure what the future will bring. That’s why life cover is such a good idea.
5 Jul 2018
Dummies Guide To Life Insurance
There are many things in life that we hold dear, and we try our best to protect them. With so many available options to protect ourselves and our families from an unexpected rainy day.
1. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. These monthly premiums are based on single life cover of €170,000 for a person aged 31 next birthday and a non-smoker, over a 25 year term, total amount €10.03. Source: Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC as at July 2020.
2. This is available for policies up to a maximum sum assured of €1,000,000. Where applicable, any additional forms required for medical evidence will require a signature. Aviva reserve the right to request a signed application at any stage prior to policy issue.
3. This cover kicks in from the moment you send us a fully completed and signed application form and direct debit mandate. You get cover for accidental death up until we accept or decline your application. We will pay out the lower of the life cover amount being applied for and €150,000. We will only pay once under this benefit in respect of any life insured regardless of the number of life cover policies or applications for life cover a person has with Aviva.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland does not guarantee the on-going availability of the Best Doctors - Second Medical Opinion benefit to its policyholders or the Aviva Family Care Benefit (Mental Health Support) and may, at its sole discretion, withdraw access to the service at a month’s notice. If we withdraw it, we’ll write to notify policyholders at least 31 days in advance of its removal.
Teladoc Health (who provide the Best Doctors and Aviva Family Care Benefit) is not a regulated financial service.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.
Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, a private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 165970. Registered office at One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2, D02 E651. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland and Friends First, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Tel (01) 898 7950.