What is mortgage protection?
When you're taking out your mortgage, your lender will usually request that you also take out a mortgage protection policy. But what is it? It's a cheaper form of life cover, designed to help pay your outstanding mortgage balance if the worst were to happen. So you know your family can keep the home they love.
Our financial advisers can help you get the right cover set up quickly and easily.
We complete all the paperwork with a signature free process.2
The difference between Life Insurance and Mortgage Protection
Siocha Costello, Protection Marketing Manager, Aviva Life & Pensions Limited explains the difference between Life Insurance and Mortgage Protection.
00:00:00 Video starts
00:00:05 Siocha Costello, one minute pitch. The difference between Life Insurance and Mortgage Protection, your time starts now.
What is Life Insurance?
00:00:14 Siocha Costello, Protection Marketing Manager, Aviva Life & Pensions Limited
In a nutshell life insurance will pay your dependents a lump sum if you die.
What is Mortgage Protection?
00:00:22 Siocha Costello
Mortgage protection pays out the outstanding balance of your mortgage if you die.
So, what is the main difference between the two?
00:00:27 Siocha Costello
The money from you mortgage protection goes to your lender to pay off your mortgage so your family home is secure. Life insurance gives your family money for all their other expenses, childcare costs, electricity costs and loans.
Why would you need both?
00:00:42 Siocha Costello
If you are taking out a mortgage you are required to have mortgage protection in place, having both means having all your family financial outgoings are taking care off.
When is a good time to get cover?
00:00:54 Siocha Costello
Insurance costs are generally based on several factors. One of those is age so the younger you are generally the cheaper it is.
What do you think is the best thing about these products?
00:01:06 Siocha Costello
I think the peace of mind that comes will knowing that your family is financially secure if anything happened to you.
Siocha your time is up.
To find out more about Life Insurance and Mortgage Protection talk to your Financial Broker.
00:01:23 Video ends
Your home is probably the largest purchase you'll make and we strive to make mortgage protection hassle-free.
- Guidance from a professional financial adviser to help you get cover suited to your needs.
- You can get a quick quote online today or call us on 1800 555 255
- Free accidental death cover while your application is considered, at no extra cost.3
With your protection policy you have access to the following services through our Aviva Care benefit:
- Digital GP
- Best Doctors Second Medical Opinion
- Family Care Mental Health Support
- Bereavement Support
You can get even more peace of mind by adding specified illness cover to your mortgage protection policy. This means that if you are diagnosed and proven to have a specified illness or if you die, your benefit will be paid. About specified illness cover.
Manage your policies online
Avail of 24/7 access to view and manage your protection policy information.
Aviva Online Service Centre
- View your policies
- Update your details
- Change bank details
- Submit a query
You may also be interested in...
1. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. These monthly premiums are based on single life cover of €170,000 for a person aged 31 next birthday and a non-smoker, over a 25 year term, total amount €10.03. Source: Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC as at July 2020.
2. This is available for policies up to a maximum sum assured of €1,000,000. Where applicable, any additional forms required for medical evidence will require a signature. Aviva reserve the right to request a signed application at any stage prior to policy issue.
3. This cover kicks in from the moment you send us a fully completed and signed application form and direct debit mandate. You get cover for accidental death up until we accept or decline your application. We will pay out the lower of the life cover amount being applied for and €150,000. We will only pay once under this benefit in respect of any life insured regardless of the number of life cover policies or applications for life cover a person has with Aviva.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland does not guarantee the on-going availability of the Best Doctors - Second Medical Opinion benefit to its policyholders or the Aviva Family Care Benefit (Mental Health Support) and may, at its sole discretion, withdraw access to the service at a month’s notice. If we withdraw it, we’ll write to notify policyholders at least 31 days in advance of its removal.
Teladoc Health (who provide the Best Doctors and Aviva Family Care Benefit) is not a regulated financial service.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office: Cherrywood Business Park, Dublin, Ireland, D18 W2P5.
Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, a private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 165970. Registered office at Building 12, Cherrywood Business Park, Loughlinstown, Co. Dublin, D18 W2P5. Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland and Friends First, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Tel (01) 898 7950.