Standard Cover

Buying home insurance from Aviva means buying peace of mind. It means buying a policy that has been tailored to your needs. Our home insurance not only includes all buildings and contents covered as standard, but also a wide range of great benefits.  

Please download our HomeCare Policy Documentfor the complete details, terms and conditions of all our cover. If you already have Aviva home insurance, then your policy schedule will show your exact cover and any extra benefits or amendments that may apply.

Buildings Insurance

Buildings insurance covers both buildings and other permanent fixtures, such as:

  • Outbuildings
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Interior decorations
  • Fences and walls

Buildings cover insures you against fire damage, storm damage, leaks and much more. There are times, however, when we might not pay for certain kinds of damage. These are called ‘exclusions’ and are described in detail in our HomeCare Policy Document.

How much buildings cover you should choose - the sum insured - is very important. It is also often misunderstood. You should base it on the rebuilding cost of your home and not the market value.

For more information, we recommend you visit the Society of Chartered Surveyors (SCSI) website. Every year the SCSI publishes their ‘House Rebuilding Guide for Home Insurance’. This guide will assist you in insuring your home and briefly explains some of the more important aspects of house insurance. 

Keep in mind that by default our buildings cover is index-linked. This means that we will adjust your building and contents sums insured each year using the index that we feel best protects you against the effects of inflation.

Contents Insurance

Contents insurance concerns household goods and any personal belongings kept in your home that belong to you or any member of your household. This includes cash up to €400. Contents cover is offered on a ‘new for old’ basis. This means that in most cases we will replace stolen or damaged items with new items.

When considering how much contents cover you want, you have a choice of two options:

  • Contents insurance as a percentage of your Buildings cover
  • Individual Contents cover

Selecting Contents cover as a percentage of your Buildings cover allows you to choose from 20%, 30%, 40% or 50% of your Buildings cover. For example, if your buildings are insured for €200,000 and you choose the 30% option, you’ll get €60,000 contents cover.

Individual Contents cover means you insure the total value of all your contents as a separate sum. The minimum sum insured with Individual Contents cover is €23,000. As before, you can get all the details about this cover in our HomeCare Policy Document.

Help in a Home Emergency

Our Home Emergency Assistance provides:

  • Cover for storm or accidental damage to roof, windows and doors
  • Cover for the cost of callout, labour and materials for emergency repair (up to €250 per incident or €260 for broken window glass)
  • Access to a 24-hour comprehensive emergency service 

If you cannot live in your home, we will provide:

  • Overnight accommodation for up to four people (at a place we choose), with transport from your home
  • Up to 7 days’ furniture storage with transport to and from the storage facility (up to 50km)

We can also relay an urgent message to a family member in Ireland or abroad in the event of an emergency.

Back to top