Types of cover
We offer three types of home insurance cover.
Buildings and Contents
This is our most comprehensive home insurance cover.
It covers your home and permanent fixtures such as outbuildings, interior decorations, fixtures and fittings, as well as fences and walls. You're insured against fire damage, storm damage, leaks and much more. Some exclusions are detailed in our HomeCare Policy Document.
The personal belongings of anyone in your household are also protected against many events insured such as burglary and fire. The cover includes furniture, clothes, possessions and even cash up to €400.
Buildings in the course of construction
If you are employing a contractor to build a home for you (not a self-build), we will provide fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake, smoke and architects' surveyors' legal and other fees and associated costs cover until the house is fully built. Contents cover can then be added and full cover confirmed to you.
Please contact our Call Centre on 1890 33 22 11 to arrange or discuss further.
It covers everything you would normally take with you when you move house.
This protects the personal possessions of anyone in your household against many events insured such as burglary and fire.
The cover includes furniture, clothes, possessions and even cash up to €400. We offer Contents only cover on a 'new for old' basis. This means that in most cases we replace stolen or damaged items with new items. This cover is a great option if you're renting.
How much cover do you need?
Our advice is to base your cover on the potential cost of rebuilding your home and NOT on its current market value. A great resource is the House Rebuilding Guide for Home Insurance from the Society of Chartered Surveyors. This annually-updated guide will get you up to speed on some of the most important things to consider when it comes to home insurance.
Keep in mind that by default our buildings cover is index-linked so we'll adjust the sums insured every year, using the index we feel keeps you cushioned from the effects of inflation.
You have two options here:
- Contents cover as a percentage of your Buildings cover
Choose from 20%, 30%, 40% or 50% of your Buildings cover. so if you insure your buildings for €200,000 and choose 30% option, you get €60,000 contents cover.
- Individual Contents cover
Go for our Individual Contents cover, where you can insure the total value of all your contents as a separate sum.
What you get with your cover
Home insurance cover comes with:
Great discounts that keep your costs down
Optional cover so you can tailor your policy to suit your needs
And then there are the benefits
The relevant discounts and benefits available to you will be applied automatically and the optional covers applicable to the risk will be offered to you.
Looking for more information?
One size doesn't fit all so you can tailor your home insurance cover to meet your needs.
Need to contact us?
You'll find all the contact information you need here
1. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €230 for home (€115 for Contents or Buildings only).
2. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply. Price match applies to life insurance quotes only. Price match only applies to standard quotes provided by Irish Life, Friends First, New Ireland, Royal London and Zurich with the same level and term of cover up to a max sum assured of €1,500,000. Does not apply to promotional offers. Terms & conditions: The above is intended as a brief summary of the product. For full details, please talk to our Direct Team on 1890 242 227. Terms, conditions and qualification criteria apply.
3. Acceptance criteria, terms and conditions apply to our mortgage protection cover. All discounts applied are subject to a minimum premium of €15 per month. Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Car insurance and home insurance are underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC. Life and Protection Cover is underwritten by Aviva Life & Pensions Ireland DAC.
Aviva Insurance Ireland Designated Activity Company, trading as Aviva, is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No. 605769. Registered Office: One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2, Ireland, D02 E651.