Join us and celebrate Pride by making some show-stopping rainbow biscuits! These delicious treats make great gifts and are a perfect way to share the love this Pride Month – if you don’t scoff the lot yourself, that is!
Music playing in background
Makes 15-20 biscuits
For the biscuits:
100g unsalted butter, softened
175g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
50g pre-coloured fondant in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
250g white fondant
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark four. Line two-three baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until just incorporated. Sift in the flour and mix well. Use your hands to gather the mixture together to form a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or until firm.
- Remove the chilled dough and place on a floured surface. Roll the dough to roughly 5mm thick. Use a grooved round cutter to cut out your biscuits. Place your biscuits onto a lined tray, leaving space between them so they can spread slightly once baked.
- Put the trays of biscuits into the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits are a pale golden-brown colour. Remove from the oven and leave them until completely cooled.
- To decorate the biscuits, dust your surface with icing sugar and take each colour of fondant and knead until soft and pliable. Keep each colour of fondant covered with cling film to stop it from drying out. Note: Be sure to wash your hands after kneading each colour.
- Take the kneaded white fondant and roll out to 5mm thick. Using the same size cutter as your biscuit, cut out equal amounts of disks to cover your biscuits.
- Brush each biscuit with some honey and stick a disk onto each. Keep any scraps of white fondant.
- For the rainbow, take a small piece of each coloured fondant and roll into a long thin sausage shape.
- Brush each sausage of fondant with a little water.
- Start with the red fondant sausage at the top, then layer the orange below, then the yellow, green, blue and finish with purple. Stick them all together.
- Using a knife, cut the colours into 6cm pieces. Arch each strip of colour into a rainbow shape. Repeat this until you have enough rainbows for each biscuit.
- Carefully lift the rainbows onto the fondant-covered biscuits.
- Roll the scraps of white fondant into small balls. Brush the base of each rainbow with a little water. Place three balls of fondant at the base of each side of the rainbows to create clouds.
And there you have it; rainbow biscuits to brighten any celebration. However you’re celebrating Pride this year, we wish you a happy one!
While you’re here why not read about our #Lightup4Pride campaign, and find out more about the Aviva Pride network group.