Easter is definitely a season all about chocolate! If you’ve eaten your fair share this month and still have leftovers don’t worry. We’ve created a mouth-watering recipe to use up the rest of your chocolate eggs. It’s sure to go down a treat with all the family, and making it is guaranteed fun for the kids!
Hop down to start baking this delicious recipe yourself!
Makes 9 large or 16 small
For the shortbread
- 175g butter, softened
- 85g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g leftover Easter chocolate, roughly chopped
For the caramel
- 397g tin condensed milk
- 50g butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 200g leftover Easter chocolate, melted
- 150g mini eggs, crushed
- 10 mini creme eggs, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- First, make the shortbread base. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, cocoa and chopped Easter eggs, mix until a dough is formed.
- Pour into the prepared tin, pushing it down into the corners and spreading out flat. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the caramel, put the condensed milk, butter and brown sugar into a large pot over a low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the caramel to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to stir. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes or until the mix has thickened.
- Pour the caramel on the shortbread base and allow to cool.
- Melt your chocolate Easter eggs. Once the caramel has cooled, pour the chocolate over the caramel. Sprinkle on some crushed mini eggs and some mini creme egg halves. Allow to set in the fridge before cutting into squares.
There you have it, a delicious leftover Easter egg recipe! If you’re looking for more ways to entertain little ones over the Easter break, check out our five fun and creative Easter activities for kids.
Whether you’re decorating your home for an Easter party or staying in with your chocolate goodies, be sure your home is always protected. Buy home insurance online with us and get 15% off! Get your quote today.1
For home insurance, you’re safe in the hands of Aviva.
Get up to speed with our helpful guides and all the latest home insurance news.
3 Mar 2021
How to banish clutter for good
Decluttering expert Emma Gleeson tells us the top things to consider when it comes to banishing clutter for good.
25 Jan 2021
Top five interior design trends for 2021
There’s no place like home. We’ve put the research in and found the biggest 2021 interior design trends that won’t swallow up your savings.
25 Jan 2021
Tips for creating a sustainable home
Advice for creating a more sustainable home without needing to make any drastic changes while debunking some common myths around sustainability.
8 Jan 2021
Keeping your home safe in the snow
Snow may be a joy for children (and many adults!) but we need to be wary of the damage it can cause to our homes.
8 Dec 2020
Santa’s little helper
Here’s some tips on how you can get your Santa’s little helper to bring cheer and excitement into your home this Christmas.
29 Nov 2020
How to childproof your home
Are you childproofing your home and looking for simple steps to ensure the safety of your child? We’ve got childproofing tips for each room of your house.
27 Nov 2020
Tips for planning an Irish wedding in 2021
Bride-to-be and owner of Frog Prince Weddings, Sharon Griffin, discuss some of the most common problem areas surrounding the future of weddings in Ireland and some practical solutions in our latest podcast episode.
24 Nov 2020
Easy Christmas recipes with Simon Delaney
Cooking extraordinaire, Simon Delaney, whipped up some delicious recipes to help you create a taste of home this Christmas.
19 Oct 2020
What life lessons have you learnt?
From moving out of your parents’ home, to buying your own home and making big decor decisions; we asked you to share what you’d learned during some of life’s biggest moments. Here are eight lessons you shared with us.
19 Oct 2020
Winter fire safety tips
Make sure you have two winter lists – your list for creating a cosy home and your fire safety checklist. We’ve compiled some important safety tips you can put into practice.
29 Sep 2020
Seven things to know when inspecting a home before you buy
Conducting inspections on many houses before you potentially buy could lead to confusion, read our house inspection guide to keep you on-track.
29 Sep 2020
What to do if your home is burgled?
If your home is robbed this can be a distressing time. Learn the steps to take and who to contact if your home is burgled.
24 Sep 2020
Healthy school lunch ideas
Quick and simple school lunch ideas to keep your kids happy, healthy and full of energy to get them through the school day.
7 Sep 2020
Save for a house deposit
Saving for a house deposit is no easy feat, whether you are renting or are already on the property ladder, these tips will help you get saving for your deposit.
12 Aug 2020
Eight tips for protecting your home on your Irish staycation
If you’re planning an Irish staycation, make sure to protect your home and belongings while you’re away. Here’s eight top tips to keep your home safe.
12 Aug 2020
Freezing your food
Trying to be more sustainable? Avoid throwing leftovers in the bin and try freezing your food. Read how to freeze foods like, milk, eggs, broccoli and more.
Need to contact us?
You'll find all the contact information you need here
1. Offer available when you take out a new policy online. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €230 for home insurance (€115 for Contents or Buildings only).
Home insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.