Easter is definitely a season all about chocolate! If you’ve eaten your fair share this month and still have leftovers don’t worry. We’ve created a mouth-watering recipe to use up the rest of your chocolate eggs. It’s sure to go down a treat with all the family, and making it is guaranteed fun for the kids!
Hop down to start baking this delicious recipe yourself!
Makes 9 large or 16 small
For the shortbread
- 175g butter, softened
- 85g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g leftover Easter chocolate, roughly chopped
For the caramel
- 397g tin condensed milk
- 50g butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 200g leftover Easter chocolate, melted
- 150g mini eggs, crushed
- 10 mini creme eggs, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- First, make the shortbread base. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, cocoa and chopped Easter eggs, mix until a dough is formed.
- Pour into the prepared tin, pushing it down into the corners and spreading out flat. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the caramel, put the condensed milk, butter and brown sugar into a large pot over a low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the caramel to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to stir. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes or until the mix has thickened.
- Pour the caramel on the shortbread base and allow to cool.
- Melt your chocolate Easter eggs. Once the caramel has cooled, pour the chocolate over the caramel. Sprinkle on some crushed mini eggs and some mini creme egg halves. Allow to set in the fridge before cutting into squares.
There you have it, a delicious leftover Easter egg recipe! If you’re looking for more ways to entertain little ones over the Easter break, check out our five fun and creative Easter activities for kids.
Whether you’re decorating your home for an Easter party or staying in with your chocolate goodies, be sure your home is always protected. Buy home insurance online with us and get 15% off! Get your quote today.1
For home insurance, you’re safe in the hands of Aviva.
Get up to speed with our helpful guides and all the latest home insurance news.
7 Apr 2020
Five boredom busters
Five boredom busters that are sure to keep the kids busy and entertained at home.
7 Apr 2020
Five-minute mindfulness exercises
It’s important to remember to take some time and focus on our mental health as well as our physical health. Here are three mindfulness exercises.
23 Mar 2020
First-time buyer - Episode two
Top tips from first-time buyers on renovating a new home. From knowing when to ask for advice to knowing when to call in the professionals. Watch episode two of video here.
11 Feb 2020
First-time buyer - Episode one
First time buyers give the insider tips they wish they’d known when buying their first home. If you are in the market to buy a house, this video series is for you.
11 Feb 2020
Five things to know before you build a house extension
Before you start your project to build your new beautiful house extension, there are critical items to consider. We’ve summed them up into five top tips.
31 Jan 2020
Improve your homes BER rating
Everything you need to know about BER in your home to save money and take care of the environment. Make your home more energy efficient now.
13 Jan 2020
Home goals for 2020
Set yourself home goals for 2020. This year set goals that are less material and more mindful. Here are five ways tips transform your home.
13 Jan 2020
Ultimate post-Christmas stain removal guide
Get rid of unwanted stains from your home. Read our top Christmas stain removal tips from red wine, to coffee and even grease, we’ve got you covered.
25 Jan 2021
Top five interior design trends for 2021
There’s no place like home. We’ve put the research in and found the biggest 2021 interior design trends that won’t swallow up your savings.
27 Nov 2019
Escape of Water in your Home
Don’t let the escape of water ruin your home. From burst pipes to leaking appliances, be prepared with our guide to causes and prevention of water leaks.
20 Nov 2019
Back to basics
We all want to make big savings and we’ve figured out how you can do this just by cutting out some of the frills and waste and get back to basics.
15 Oct 2019
Declutter your home
This Summer we’ve been inspired by the Netflix series ‘Tidying up with Marie Kondo’ which brought the organising and decluttering genius of Marie Kondo into our homes!
2 Oct 2019
13 Halloween facts you didn’t know
Did you know that Halloween almost died and turnips were the pumpkins of past? Click through for interesting and fun facts about Halloween.
1 Oct 2019
Keep your home safe from burglars
How to make your home safe from potential intruders.
Need to contact us?
You'll find all the contact information you need here
1. Offer available when you take out a new policy online. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €230 for home (€115 for Contents or Buildings only).
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Home insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.