Easter is definitely a season all about chocolate! If you’ve eaten your fair share this month and still have leftovers don’t worry. We’ve created a mouth-watering recipe to use up the rest of your chocolate eggs. It’s sure to go down a treat with all the family, and making it is guaranteed fun for the kids!
Hop down to start baking this delicious recipe yourself!
Makes 9 large or 16 small
For the shortbread
- 175g butter, softened
- 85g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 2tbsp cocoa powder
- 100g leftover Easter chocolate, roughly chopped
For the caramel
- 397g tin condensed milk
- 50g butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 200g leftover Easter chocolate, melted
- 150g mini eggs, crushed
- 10 mini creme eggs, halved
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 20cm square tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- First, make the shortbread base. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, cocoa and chopped Easter eggs, mix until a dough is formed.
- Pour into the prepared tin, pushing it down into the corners and spreading out flat. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool.
- To make the caramel, put the condensed milk, butter and brown sugar into a large pot over a low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the caramel to the boil, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to stir. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes or until the mix has thickened.
- Pour the caramel on the shortbread base and allow to cool.
- Melt your chocolate Easter eggs. Once the caramel has cooled, pour the chocolate over the caramel. Sprinkle on some crushed mini eggs and some mini creme egg halves. Allow to set in the fridge before cutting into squares.
There you have it, a delicious leftover Easter egg recipe! If you’re looking for more ways to entertain little ones over the Easter break, check out our five fun and creative Easter activities for kids.
Whether you’re decorating your home for an Easter party or staying in with your chocolate goodies, be sure your home is always protected. Buy home insurance online with us and get 15% off! Get your quote today.1
Get up to speed with our helpful guides and all the latest home insurance news.
21 Jun 2021
Pride Rainbow Biscuit Recipe
Join us and celebrate Pride by making some show-stopping rainbow biscuits! We’ve got an easy how-to video right here.
24 Nov 2020
Easy Christmas recipes with Simon Delaney
Cooking extraordinaire, Simon Delaney, whipped up some delicious recipes to help you create a taste of home this Christmas.
24 Sep 2020
Healthy school lunch ideas
Quick and simple school lunch ideas to keep your kids happy, healthy and full of energy to get them through the school day.
12 Aug 2020
Freezing your food
Trying to be more sustainable? Avoid throwing leftovers in the bin and try freezing your food. Read how to freeze foods like, milk, eggs, broccoli and more.
14 Jun 2020
Grow your own veggies
If growing your own vegetables has been on your to-do list, now’s the time to get planting.
14 Jun 2020
Make savings on your weekly shop
Top tips to save money on your food shop. Read more.
11 May 2020
Wake up and smell the coffee!
Missing your morning coffee? Try out your barista skills with our three simple coffee recipes to boost your morning and keep you going throughout the day.
26 Nov 2019
Taste of Christmas
Add some yum to your tum! We’ve got candy cane hot chocolate or strawberry Santa hat cakes, click through for these Christmas recipes and more.
20 Nov 2019
Back to basics
We all want to make big savings and we’ve figured out how you can do this just by cutting out some of the frills and waste and get back to basics.
2 Oct 2019
Match Day Recipe
Now that you’ve got the match snacks covered with this roasted garlic and cannellini bean dip recipe, kick back and enjoy the game.
12 Jun 2019
BBQ Buzz: Recipes
The sun has begun to shine through the clouds, which means that it’s time to crack out the barbecue!
26 Feb 2019
7 Ways to Get Veg into Your Kid's Diet
We’ve all had those battles at home with the kids about eating their vegetables. So, we’ve spoken to the experts at Everymum about some clever ways to incorporate vegetables into your child’s diet
26 Feb 2019
The Perfect Pancake Mix
There’s nothing quite like the comforting smell of pancakes swirling around your home, and we have some delicious recipes for you to try out this Pancake Tuesday.
Need to contact us?
You'll find all the contact information you need here
1. Offer available when you take out a new policy online. Acceptance criteria, terms & conditions apply. Offer subject to minimum premium of €230 for home insurance (€115 for Contents or Buildings only).
Home insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland DAC.
Aviva Direct Ireland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A private company limited by shares. Registered in Ireland No 374895. Registered Office One Park Place, Hatch Street, Dublin 2.